- Starr Boggs, Best Restaurant in Westhampton
- Worldwide Orphans Celebrate with 1000 Dinners on July 19
- Seeing Red? It’s a good thing for your health
- Bastille Day Beckons: May we
- Forget Groucho Marx. Club Bacon is Calling My Name
- Colman’s Mustard Makes Your Fourth of July Barbecue Sing
- Easy Fourth of July Feast: potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans and all the grilled goodies. Yum!
- What’s for Dinner? Open the refrigerator, shake your smart phone and decide
- What happens to children crossing the border into the U.S. from Latin America?
- Peg Bowden’s account of the flood of unaccompanied minors entering the U.S. from Nogales
Have an Earth Day Margarita from Herradura. Cheers.
Herradura Celebrates Earth Day with Sustainable Farm Practices
As you know, on April 22 we celebrate Earth Day and Casa Herradura would like to share facets of the production process that showcase the brand’s commitment to sustainability:
1. Wastewater Reuse and Filtration. In 2007, Casa Herradura built a multimillion dollar, state of the art wastewater treatment plant to treat 100% of wastewater generated in the tequila production process. In 2010, the brand added a second wastewater treatment system to treat 100% of the wastewater generated from cafeterias, restrooms, bathrooms, etc. Additionally, the brand added a wastewater filtration system to treat 100% of its treated water and make it suitable for irrigation in agave nurseries, lawns and compost process, reducing well water use in the dry season.
2. Renewable Energy. In 2009, Casa Herradura installed a waste-to-energy process that fuels a steam boiler with biogas generated by a biological anaerobic reactor, as part of the wastewater treatment plant (WWTP). This system provides 12 percent of the energy utilized in the tequila production process.
3. Renewable Composting. Since 2008, Casa Herradura’s compost process has converted more than 81,000 tons of agave bagasse into more than 27,000 tons of compost, mostly used in agave fields and nurseries.
4. Comprehensive Recycling. In 2000, Casa Herradura established company-wide recycling centers. All bottles, cardboard, plastic, aluminum, computer paper, glass, all kind of metals, are separated and sent for recycling with authorized recyclers.
5. Hazardous waste handling and disposing. In 2008, the agricultural area of Casa Herradura became part of the “Clean Field” program to handle and dispose all hazardous waste generated from agrochemical usage. The hazardous waste is then treated, sent for recycling or incinerated according to Mexican Laws.
6. Non-hazardous waste handling and disposing. In 2011, Casa Herradura implemented an internal “Green Field” program to handle and dispose non-hazardous waste produced during agave harvesting.
Let’s Celebrate Earth Day with a Herradura Fresh Margarita. Cheers!
Herradura Fresh Margarita
1½ oz. Herradura Reposado
½ oz. Cointreau®
1½ oz. Agave Nectar
1½ oz. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
In a shaker filled with ice, add ingredients, shake to mix. Serve in a salt-rimmed rocks glass.