- Slow Food Announces 2015 Winners for Cheese
- Join us to LOBBY THE SENATE, Friday October 16. Speak to your representatives in Washington to Demand GMO Labeling
- Cucumber Zucchini Bonanza. Eat, Drink and Be Merry
- Back to Schoool Meatloaf. Good for Days
- Burpee Seeds: Your Start to Food Freedom with your own garden
- Watermelon Tomato Salad with Mint
- Greek Salad with Three Beans: Perfect for Labor Day Brunches
- Low Carb Bacon and Egg Quiche with a Cheese Grits Crust. Yum!
- SAVE THE DATE: August 15 Burpee opens its gates at Historic Fordhook Farm. Come One and All
- House of Representatives Passed A Bill Prohibiting States from GMO labeling. Call Your Senator. Just Say No.
Have an Earth Day Margarita from Herradura. Cheers.
Herradura Celebrates Earth Day with Sustainable Farm Practices
As you know, on April 22 we celebrate Earth Day and Casa Herradura would like to share facets of the production process that showcase the brand’s commitment to sustainability:
1. Wastewater Reuse and Filtration. In 2007, Casa Herradura built a multimillion dollar, state of the art wastewater treatment plant to treat 100% of wastewater generated in the tequila production process. In 2010, the brand added a second wastewater treatment system to treat 100% of the wastewater generated from cafeterias, restrooms, bathrooms, etc. Additionally, the brand added a wastewater filtration system to treat 100% of its treated water and make it suitable for irrigation in agave nurseries, lawns and compost process, reducing well water use in the dry season.
2. Renewable Energy. In 2009, Casa Herradura installed a waste-to-energy process that fuels a steam boiler with biogas generated by a biological anaerobic reactor, as part of the wastewater treatment plant (WWTP). This system provides 12 percent of the energy utilized in the tequila production process.
3. Renewable Composting. Since 2008, Casa Herradura’s compost process has converted more than 81,000 tons of agave bagasse into more than 27,000 tons of compost, mostly used in agave fields and nurseries.
4. Comprehensive Recycling. In 2000, Casa Herradura established company-wide recycling centers. All bottles, cardboard, plastic, aluminum, computer paper, glass, all kind of metals, are separated and sent for recycling with authorized recyclers.
5. Hazardous waste handling and disposing. In 2008, the agricultural area of Casa Herradura became part of the “Clean Field” program to handle and dispose all hazardous waste generated from agrochemical usage. The hazardous waste is then treated, sent for recycling or incinerated according to Mexican Laws.
6. Non-hazardous waste handling and disposing. In 2011, Casa Herradura implemented an internal “Green Field” program to handle and dispose non-hazardous waste produced during agave harvesting.
Let’s Celebrate Earth Day with a Herradura Fresh Margarita. Cheers!
Herradura Fresh Margarita
1½ oz. Herradura Reposado
½ oz. Cointreau®
1½ oz. Agave Nectar
1½ oz. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
In a shaker filled with ice, add ingredients, shake to mix. Serve in a salt-rimmed rocks glass.