- Make a Sandwich. But First, just make the bread. Yes.
- How Does the Omnivore’s Diet Stack Up Next to a Vegetarian’s?
- Canning in the age of the possible. Bottoms up, its time for a Mango Tequila Sunrise from a Ball Spiral Jar
- Happy Easter Everybody. Goldenrod eggs for all.
- The Road to Assisi and other adventures in the kitchen: Italian Peasant Soup
- Big Old Chicken Breasts To the Rescue
- Amazing Chocolate Cake from a brand new blog. Check it out.
- Uncle Ben’s 20 Minute Dinners do it for me
- Embrew offers single serving teas and coffees
- Hooray! Peg Bowden has started up her blog again. You want a front row seat to immigration? Here it is.sign up
Christmas Cookies, Heirloom Fruit Curds, Gifts from Your Kitchen. Yum!
Faithful to Foods in Chicago has gone the extra mile and brought us some fantastic fruit curds just in time for Christmas giving. Doing business as Scrumptious Pantry, and sold exclusively at Whole Foods, they preserve the true flavors of biodiversity by gathering wild fruits including the Paw Paw, Huckleberry, and Lingonberry to make some heavenly fruit curds.
For our Thanksgiving, we served the Lingonberry to accompany the turkey and it gave just the right punch to the mellow flavor of that turkey.
The scrumptious pantry’s heirloom fruit curds are made by gathering wild fruits then blending them with organic valley butter, organic egg yolks and organic evaporated cane juice and lemon juice.
We find these fruit curds delicious right out of the jar, or used in recipes, like these gorgeous thumbprint cookies for kitchen gifts. Yum!
Huckleberry Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
For the dough:
1 stick (4 oz) butter
1/2 cup (2oz) powdered sugar
1 egg, separated
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp sea salt salt
1 jar SP Heirloom Fruit Curd Huckleberry flavor
(1) beat butter and powdered sugar for 2-3 min.,
(2) add egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat for 30 seconds,
(3) add flour, cocoa and salt and mix till dough is smooth and refrigerate for at least 30 min.
(4) whisk egg white in a bowl and pour some granulated sugar in a second bowl
(5) roll dough into balls, dip in egg white and sugar and line up on baking sheet an inch apart
(6) push little finger straight into the dough and fill the dent with SP Huckleberry Curd
7) bake at 350F for 10 – 12 minutes.