- Make a Sandwich. But First, just make the bread. Yes.
- How Does the Omnivore’s Diet Stack Up Next to a Vegetarian’s?
- Canning in the age of the possible. Bottoms up, its time for a Mango Tequila Sunrise from a Ball Spiral Jar
- Happy Easter Everybody. Goldenrod eggs for all.
- The Road to Assisi and other adventures in the kitchen: Italian Peasant Soup
- Big Old Chicken Breasts To the Rescue
- Amazing Chocolate Cake from a brand new blog. Check it out.
- Uncle Ben’s 20 Minute Dinners do it for me
- Embrew offers single serving teas and coffees
- Hooray! Peg Bowden has started up her blog again. You want a front row seat to immigration? Here it is.sign up
Big Old Chicken Breasts To the Rescue
I’ve been buying those big irregular sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts to feed my dogs who have gotten way overweight. But looking at the latest batch – which I got at the local supermarket for about $1.59 per pound, I thought why should the dogs get all the good stuff.
So I held one out and made this adlib casserole – which turned out pretty well.
Chicken Rigatoni with Peas, Broccoli, and Parmesan
Makes 8 generous servings
1 pound dry rigatoni
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 stick butter (1/4 pound)
1 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 pound) boiled in water until tender, then chopped into bite sized pieces
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ cup peas
1 cup broccoli, steamed until crisp tender (about 3 minutes in the microwave
½ yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 cups grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Sea salt and freshly milled black pepper to taste
Heat the oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 12 pan with butter.
Cook rigatoni in a pan of boiling water, until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and place in the baking pan.
In a saucepan, heat oil and butter. Add chicken meat, mushrooms, peas, broccoli, yellow onion, and garlic, each in turn, stirring. Cook until beginning to brown.
Add this mixture to the baking pan. Now combine cheeses and cream and pour over the top. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Bake until brown and bubbly. About 25 minutes. Top with additional parmigiano reggiano and serve hot.